When Drew and I got married, we had to go straight into a new semester and back to our jobs. With that in mind, we never got a honeymoon! So, 5 months after being married, we headed off to Florida to celebrate what Drew calls our “money-moon” because we spent A LOT of money-especially at Disney World! Was all of that money worth it? 100%! Neither of us had been to WDW before, and we are so grateful we were able to experience the Disneyworld magic together!
However, I was SOOOO nervous about whether or not I would be able to find places to eat. So today I am going to share some of my best tips I have for anyone who struggles with food allergies/sensitivities and want to go to Disney!
- DISNEY IS THE MOST ALLERGY FRIENDLY PLACE ON EARTH! Not only is Disney the Happiest place on earth-they are by far the most accommodating when it comes to food allergies! Every single place we went to eat had a separate Allergy Menu Created! Isn’t that amazing? They also have a chef come up to you so you can talk to them about your specific allergies and concerns. This made my allergy heart so happy!
- SKIP THE MOBILE APP Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, many restaurant online offer mobile takeout only. HOWEVER, if you have allergies, you are totally exempt from this! Simply walk up to a cast member and let them know that you have food allergies, and they will direct you to a register where you can order safe food and speak with the chef. I felt like royalty getting to skip the lines and get to order in person!
- BRING SAFE SNACKS! I don’t think my husband and I would have survived the heat if we hadn’t brought a pile of Gluten Free snacks! I was able to stash some Gluten Free Pretzels, Fruit Leather, Granola Bars, Applesauce, etc. all in my bag along with a water bottle so that we would stay sane! It also helped us not spend as much money in the parks on overpriced food!
- BOOK RESTAURANT RESERVATIONS BEFORE HAND! Planning ahead is the #1 thing I wish I would have done on this trip. Mostly all of the highly rated Disney Dining restaurants were already booked when we got there. We were on several waitlists-but never actually got accepted into the restaurants. You can book reservations ahead of time on the app, or on the Disney website!
- BOOK A HOTEL WITH A KITCHEN! This is a MUST for me whenever I travel. I do not trust hotel breakfast lobbies to provide me allergy friendly food. With that in mind, I always book an Airbnb or a hotel room that has a microwave, and a fridge. That way-bare minimum, I can go to the store and buy some fruit, oatmeal, etc. This works for me, but of course I encourage you to find something that works for you! We all have different preferences and needs. This is just something that makes my life easier while travelling.
I hope these tips help you feel more confident and ready to take on Disney with Food Allergies! It’s 100% doable, and worth every penny. Please don’t stress! Just prepare ahead, as you already are by reading this post and you will have a magical time!