I have had many requests for this beloved recipe! So here it is! This recipe makes two loaves of beautiful and tasty Gluten Free Artisan bread-as pictured below.
This recipe is from the book “Gluten Free Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day” by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois, but here is my take on the recipe! This is not my original recipe, so all credit goes out to these wonderful authors! 🙂
3 cups of Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour– I use the “Namaste Perfect Flour Blend” from Costco. It is Gluten Free, Free of the top 8 allergens, and Organic.
1/2 Tablespoon of Granulated Yeast
1/2 Tablespoon of Salt
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 1/2 Cups of Warm water
1/8 cup of Olive Oil
Cornmeal* (for the bottom surface of the bread)
- Mix together Dry Ingredients in Large mixing bowl
- Add Liquid Ingredients with a spoon or with a stand mixer and the bread hook attachment.
- Cover bowl lightly with a tea towel or plastic wrap and let rise for 2 hours
- From this point, you have three options. Use the dough immediately, Store in a lidded container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze the dough into two grapefruit sized portions for up to four weeks (thawing the dough in the refrigerator the day before use). When I made this bread, I prepared the dough on Wednesday and baked it on Sunday! I like to prepare the dough ahead of time and bake it on a different day.
- When you are ready to bake the dough, divided the bread dough into two grapefruit sized portions. Place it on a baking sheet prepared with cornmeal-or you can just use parchment paper. Shape the dough into a ball and smooth the surface by wetting your fingers and shaping the bread with your hands. Cover the bread loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise for another 60 minutes.
- While dough is rising, preheat the oven to 450 degrees & make sure to place an empty metal broiler tray on the bottom rack of the oven.
- When the dough is finished rising, brush the top with water, and take a wet, bread knife and slash the top to create the artisan bread look! I did mine in a simple “X” pattern. Make sure the slash is about 1/2 inch deep.
- Place your baking sheet with the bread into the oven! Then pour 1 cup of hot water into the broiler tray, close the oven, and let the bread bake for 40-45 minutes-until brown and firm. I am always terrified of burning my bread, so I watch it closely during the last few minutes haha!
- Allow your bread to cool-or enjoy it warm with some butter, jam, or as a tasty addition to your dinner!
Let me know if you have any questions or need any clarifications! Honestly, this is the most success I have had with baking gluten free bread so far. But I will keep you updated on any new recipes I find to be successful. 🙂